Hash browns or hashed browns are very simple and easy to prepare in which shredded potatoes can be fried in butter. And season with ground black pepper and salt. Yummy crusty recipe for potato lovers.
Hash browns is the American breakfast. To enhance the taste chopped onion can be added. Hash browns can be made with so many different ways.
Here is the quick VIDEO for the recipe:
- 1 large russet potatoes
- 1 & 1/2 tablespoon butter
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- Keep the bowl ready filled with a cold water.
- Peel the skin of potato. There’s no need to get rid of the skins if you don’t want to.
- Now shred the potato and immediately transfer into the bowl of cold water. Soak for 10 minutes. Water will become cloudy. This process will dissolve excess starch from potatoes and keeps the potatoes from changing color.
2. After 10 minutes rinse the potato under cold running water. Again take some cold water in a bowl and drain well. Then pat dry using kitchen towel or clean cotton cloth.
4. Heat butter in a non-stick pan over medium heat. Add the shredded potatoes and spread them out in an even thin layer. Do remember layer should not be too thick otherwise it won’t be crust enough. I have spread them in two half parts so that can be flip easily.
5. Now wait until a brown crust forms at the bottom of the potatoes. It will take 5 to 6 minutes. You can use the spatula to check the bottom. If you are sure potatoes are brown and crispy at the bottom then it’s time to turn the side.
6. Continue to cook until second side bottom turns into brown crust. Remember it will take less time than first side bottom. You can spread more butter after flipping if you want to.
7. If both sides are brown then transfer it to plate. Season the potatoes with salt and ground black pepper.
8. Serve fresh with ketchup or any gravy or chutney.
Parathas are one of the most popular unleavened flatbreads in India. Here I have used wheat flour for bread and for stuffing used potato and fenugreek mixture with the little spices. This can be the good lunch menu for kids. Now let’s see this yummy paratha recipe to fill your little ones tummy.
||Snacks / Lunch
- 2 cup wheat flour to make a dough.
- 2 potatoes, boiled and mashed
- 1 cup fenugreek leaves fresh
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste / powder (I have used powder)
- 2 tablespoon butter / oil (I have used butter) for paratha
- 1 tablespoon oil for dough
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 pinch red chilli powder (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon mango powder
- 1 pinch garam masala powder (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper powder
- 1/4 teaspoon carom seeds (ajwain)
- Add wheat flour, salt to taste and 1 tablespoon of oil in a mixing bowl.
- Add water to knead a dough. For 2 cup flour it might need 1 cup water. The quantity of water may vary depending on the flour used. Don’t add all the water in one go. Use 3/4 th of it. Mix it. Use water as needed and make a soft dough.
- Wrap dough with moist cloth and cover. Set it aside for 15- 20 minutes.
- Now let’s make paratha filling.
- Mix mashed potatoes and fenugreek leaves.
- Add Ginger garlic paste or powder.
- Then add the spices. Add salt to taste. Mix it.
- Now our filling is ready make 8 balls of it.
- Heat the flat pan on medium flame.
- Now take a dough knead again for 1/2 minute and make 8 round balls.
- Sprinkle some flour on rolling area. Take one ball. Flaten upto 2 – 3 inch using roller.
- Put a dough circle on your hand and place filling inside. Keep in mind that filling should not be too much and too less. Seal the edges by gathering them into the center.
- Again make round ball and roll it up to 6-8 inch. Keep it little bit thick. Use wheat flour while rolling. Filling should not be too less or too much.
- Now sprinkle some wheat flour onto the rolling area, place this ball and roll the paratha gently upto the diameter of 6-8 inches.
- Now if pan is hot enough then grease the pan using butter and transfer the paratha on it.
- If small bubbles shows up flip the paratha. Now it will start to puff. Spread some butter on upper side.
- Flip again and spread some butter on the other side.
- Flip once or twice and roast well until paratha cooked and brown spots appear on both the sides.
- Repeat this process for rest of the paratha.
- Serve paratha with yogurt, pickle or sour creme cheese.
Chicken Soup is quite soothing dish useful in cold and cough. Satisfying and healthy soup for kids. This soup is flavored with little spices and specially cooked with carrots.
- 1/2 cup boneless chicken, chopped
- 1/4 cup carrots, chopped
- 1/8 cup white onion, finely chopped
- 1 pinch of black pepper powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup water
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan. Add chopped onions. Saute until onion becomes translucent then add ginger-garlic paste. Mix well.
- Add chopped carrots. Mix well.
- Now add chopped raw chicken and saute until pieces becomes white.
- Then add water and salt to taste.
- Cover with lid. Bring it to boil on medium heat and simmer for 5 minutes or chicken is fully cooked on low heat.
- Pour into the bowl and serve warm.
Quesadilla is Mexican cuisine. This is a quick and easy recipe. This makes a light dinner, a great snack or appetizer. Because of lots of spinach one of the nutritional dish. If whole wheat isn’t available then other types of tortillas can be used. Its better if served with salsa and sour cream.
- 2 (10 inch) tortillas (whole wheat)
- 3 cup fresh spinach leaves
- 1 green onion, chopped
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Place 1 tortilla onto the skillet. Sprinkle about half the Cheddar cheese evenly over the tortilla. Top with the spinach, green onions, garlic powder, and chili powder. Cover with the remaining Cheddar cheese. Place the second tortilla on top.
- Cook until the bottom tortilla starts to develop a bit of color and starts to crisp, about 3 minutes. To flip and cook the other side, slide the quesadilla off the non-stick pan onto a dinner plate, cover with another dinner plate and flip. The crispy tortilla side should now be on top. Slide the quesadilla back onto the pan and cook until the bottom tortilla starts turning crisp, about 3 minutes more. Slide onto a cutting board, and cut into 8 wedges to serve.
Vegetable pulav is Indian cuisine. Quick and easy but satisfying and delicious meal. It is the combination of cooked rice mixed with mild spices and vegetables. You can serve this pulav with yogurt raita, pickle or roasted papad or can be served alone. Can be used for party, lunch box or for holy purposes.
Description: Cooked rice mixed with mild spices and mixed vegetable.
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 – 1.5 tbsp oil
- 1 medim onion thinly sliced
- 1 to 1.5 cup chopped vegetables (Green peas, Carrots, Beans)
- 1 Bay leave
- 1 inch Cinnamon stick
- 2 Green Cardamom
- 3 Whole black pepper
- Cloves – 2
- Ginger – 1 inch
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Salt to taste
- Wash the rice and soak for a 10 mins.
- Cook the rice and set aside.
- Make a ginger and garlic paste.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the sliced onions
- When the onions begin to brown, add the cinnamon, cloves, whole black pepper, cardamom and bay leave
- Add the ginger garlic paste and fry for another few seconds
- Add the chopped vegetables and add salt
- Cook on a low flame for 5 mins, covered, until the vegetables are soft
- Then add cooked rice. Mix well and cook on low flame for 2-3 mins, covered.
- Turn off flame and keep partially covered until ready to serve.