Hash browns or hashed browns are very simple and easy to prepare in which shredded potatoes can be fried in butter. Hash browns is the American breakfast. This can be good side dish with the meal too. Yummy crusty recipe for potato lovers. To enhance the taste diced or chopped onion can be added. Can be serve as a breakfast or meal.
- 1 large russet potatoes
- 1 & 1/2 tablespoon butter
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- Peeled the potatoes. There’s no need to get rid of the skins if you don’t want to. Take a large bowl and fill with cold water. Now shred the potatoes and immediately put it in the bowl of cold water for 10 minutes. Water will become cloudy.
This process will dissolve excess starch from potatoes and keeps the potatoes from changing colour.
2. Now drain the shredded potatoes. Again take some cold water in a bowl, stir it and drain well. Then pat dry using paper towel or clean cotton cloth.
3. Finally squeeze the potatoes using cotton cloth to take out excess moisture. Now the potatoes are ready.
4. Heat butter in a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Add the shredded potatoes and spread them out in an even thin layer. Do remember layer should not be too thick otherwise it won’t be crust enough.
5. Now wait until a brown crust forms at the bottom of the potatoes. It will take 5 to 6 minutes. You can use the metal spatula to check the bottom. If you sure potatoes are brown and crispy at the bottom then it’s time to turn the side.
I always used to prefer to cut the whole layer into 2 or 4 parts before flipping. Depends on how much it’s big. And also useful to check each part how much it cooked at bottom. If ready at bottom then flip small parts one by one.
If you can flip whole potatoes layer in one go then you can flip it.
After flipping one part.
6. Continue to cook until second side bottom turns into brown crust. Remember it will take less time than first side bottom. You can spread more butter after flipping if you want to.
7. If both sides are brown then transfer it to plate. Season the potatoes with salt and ground black pepper.
8. Serve with ketchup or any gravy or chutney.
Parathas are one of the most popular unleavened flatbreads in India. Here I have used wheat flour for bread and for stuffing used potato and fenugreek mixture with the little spices. This can be the good lunch menu for kids. Now let’s see this yummy paratha recipe to fill your little ones tummy.
||Snacks / Lunch
- 2 cup wheat flour to make a dough.
- 2 potatoes, boiled and mashed
- 1 cup fenugreek leaves fresh
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste / powder (I have used powder)
- 2 tablespoon butter / oil (I have used butter) for paratha
- 1 tablespoon oil for dough
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 pinch red chilli powder (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon mango powder
- 1 pinch garam masala powder (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper powder
- 1/4 teaspoon carom seeds (ajwain)
- Add wheat flour, salt to taste and 1 tablespoon of oil in a mixing bowl.
- Add water to knead a dough. For 2 cup flour it might need 1 cup water. The quantity of water may vary depending on the flour used. Don’t add all the water in one go. Use 3/4 th of it. Mix it. Use water as needed and make a soft dough.
- Wrap dough with moist cloth and cover. Set it aside for 15- 20 minutes.
- Now let’s make paratha filling.
- Mix mashed potatoes and fenugreek leaves.
- Add Ginger garlic paste or powder.
- Then add the spices. Add salt to taste. Mix it.
- Now our filling is ready make 8 balls of it.
- Heat the flat pan on medium flame.
- Now take a dough knead again for 1/2 minute and make 8 round balls.
- Sprinkle some flour on rolling area. Take one ball. Flaten upto 2 – 3 inch using roller.
- Put a dough circle on your hand and place filling inside. Keep in mind that filling should not be too much and too less. Seal the edges by gathering them into the center.
- Again make round ball and roll it up to 6-8 inch. Keep it little bit thick. Use wheat flour while rolling. Filling should not be too less or too much.
- Now sprinkle some wheat flour onto the rolling area, place this ball and roll the paratha gently upto the diameter of 6-8 inches.
- Now if pan is hot enough then grease the pan using butter and transfer the paratha on it.
- If small bubbles shows up flip the paratha. Now it will start to puff. Spread some butter on upper side.
- Flip again and spread some butter on the other side.
- Flip once or twice and roast well until paratha cooked and brown spots appear on both the sides.
- Repeat this process for rest of the paratha.
- Serve paratha with yogurt, pickle or sour creme cheese.
Today I am sharing Chicken soup recipe with you. This soup is mild especially I have discovered for kids. My kid love this soup. It’s very quick and easy recipe. Useful in common cough. With the combination of chicken I have added carrots.
- 1/2 cup chopped raw boneless chicken
- 1/4 cup carrots chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 pinch of pepper powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup water
- Salt to taste
- Heat olive oil in a pan. Add chopped onions. Stir it. If onion becomes translucent then add ginger-garlic paste, chopped carrots. Stir for ½ minute.
- Now add chopped raw chicken and stir for 1 minute.
- Then add water and salt to taste.
- Bring it to boil and simmer for 8-10 minutes until chicken is fully cooked. Serve this chicken soup fresh and warm.
Quesadilla is Mexican cuisine. This is a quick and easy recipe. This makes a light dinner, a great snack or appetizer. Because of lots of spinach one of the nutritional dish. If whole wheat isn’t available then other types of tortillas can be used. Its better if served with salsa and sour cream.
- 2 (10 inch) tortillas (whole wheat)
- 3 cup fresh spinach leaves
- 1 green onion, chopped
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Place 1 tortilla onto the skillet. Sprinkle about half the Cheddar cheese evenly over the tortilla. Top with the spinach, green onions, garlic powder, and chili powder. Cover with the remaining Cheddar cheese. Place the second tortilla on top.
- Cook until the bottom tortilla starts to develop a bit of color and starts to crisp, about 3 minutes. To flip and cook the other side, slide the quesadilla off the non-stick pan onto a dinner plate, cover with another dinner plate and flip. The crispy tortilla side should now be on top. Slide the quesadilla back onto the pan and cook until the bottom tortilla starts turning crisp, about 3 minutes more. Slide onto a cutting board, and cut into 8 wedges to serve.
Vegetable pulav is Indian cuisine. Quick and easy but satisfying and delicious meal. It is the combination of cooked rice mixed with mild spices and vegetables. You can serve this pulav with yogurt raita, pickle or roasted papad or can be served alone. Can be used for party, lunch box or for holy purposes.
Description: Cooked rice mixed with mild spices and mixed vegetable.
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 – 1.5 tbsp oil
- 1 medim onion thinly sliced
- 1 to 1.5 cup chopped vegetables (Green peas, Carrots, Beans)
- 1 Bay leave
- 1 inch Cinnamon stick
- 2 Green Cardamom
- 3 Whole black pepper
- Cloves – 2
- Ginger – 1 inch
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Salt to taste
- Wash the rice and soak for a 10 mins.
- Cook the rice and set aside.
- Make a ginger and garlic paste.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the sliced onions
- When the onions begin to brown, add the cinnamon, cloves, whole black pepper, cardamom and bay leave
- Add the ginger garlic paste and fry for another few seconds
- Add the chopped vegetables and add salt
- Cook on a low flame for 5 mins, covered, until the vegetables are soft
- Then add cooked rice. Mix well and cook on low flame for 2-3 mins, covered.
- Turn off flame and keep partially covered until ready to serve.