This is very delicious, flavorful and one of the satisfying meal. Chole masala or chana masala is a north indian Panjabi cuisine of India. Chickpeas are good source of protein. Chickpeas are spiced with the gravy made from onions, tomatoes, garam masala and dry mango powder with other spices.
It can be served with Bhature (a fried leavened Indian bread), Puri (a fried unleavened Indian bread), naan (leavened, oven-baked flatbread) or Rice.
Now let’s see the north indian style recipe to make a chole masala.
|Preparation time||Cook time||Course||Servings|
|8-10 hrs||40 minutes||Main||4|
- 1 cup white chickpeas
- 2 medium size tomato, paste
- 1 medium size onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon dry mango powder
- 1 teaspoon pomegranate powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kasuri methi
- Soak 1 cup of chickpeas in water for 8-10 hrs.
- Cook the soaked chickpeas in pressure cooker or in a deep pan. Cook until soft.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds. Add chopped onions. Saute for few minutes until the onions starts to soften.
- Add ginger garlic paste and stir until aroma evaporates.
- Then add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, dry mango powder, pomegranate powder, garam masala and continue to saute. If you want you can add more spices according to your taste.
- Add tomato paste. Stir for couple of minutes until color changes to brown.
- Then add cooked chickpeas, salt to taste and mix well then and 1 cup of water. Cover the pan and cook for 15 minutes on low heat.
- Now to enhance the taste add kasuri methi and chopped coriander and simmer for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Transfer chole masala into a bowl and serve with bhature, puri, phulaka, naan or rice with onion slices or salad.