Today I am sharing a healthy recipe with you – banana pancakes. I am not that much crazy about banana but my kid is. Instead of making plain pancakes I have added some mashed banana. My kid loved that!!
These pancakes are actually very simple to make. A pancake is a flat cake, often thin and round. I have used just our everyday ingredients whole wheat flour, mashed banana, eggs, milk and yogurt. Flavored with cinnamon and lightly sweetened with brown sugar.
This is a good, morning breakfast not only for kids but everybody can enjoy it.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 large ripe banana (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil / butter (I used vegetable oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- Mix the flour, baking powder, salt and ground cinnamon together in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl mashed banana using dinner fork Continue mashing until no lumps remain; a few small lumps are OK.
- Then add an egg and whisk together. Whisk in yogurt, milk and brown sugar until combined. If using vanilla extract add in it. In this pancake I did not used vanilla extract but if you want you can add.
- Make a well in the dry flour mixture and pour the wet banana mixture in. Stir gently until just combined.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. Coat with oil. Once pan becomes very hot, drop 1/4 cup of batter onto the hot pan.
- Cook about 1 minute until the edges look dry and bubbles begin to form on the center or sides. Lift a corner and check if bottom looks brown and golden then flip the pancake using spatula.
- Cook on the other side about 1 to 2 minutes, until the other side is also golden-brown. Coat pan with oil for each pancake.
- Serve immediately with maple syrup, honey or jam.
- These pancakes are tastes best right after they are made and eaten warm. Leftover pancakes can be keep in the fridge for fey days. Before serving make it warm in the microwave about 30 seconds. The taste will not remain same as delicious as when they’re fresh but makes a nice snack.
A mango lassi is very famous beverage in India. It is prepared by mixing ripe mango or mango pulp with yogurt, milk and sugar. Some lassi are sweet, some are salty and some have mint. It is basically yogurt based mango milkshake or smoothie.
- 1 cup chopped mango or 1 cup mango pulp (I used mango pulp)
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 cup milk
- 3-4 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp ground cardamom for garnishing
- 2 tsp almonds, chopped for garnishing
- Fresh mint leaves for garnishing
- Combine chopped mango or mango pulp, yogurt, milk and sugar into a blender. Before adding sugar check how sweet your mango is then add sugar. Then blend until smooth.
- Pour into a serving glass.
- For garnishing sprinkle some ground cardamom, put some almonds and mint leaves on top.
- Serve the lassi within 24 hours. It can be kept refrigerated for up to 24 hours.
- Instead of sugar, honey can be used in lassi.
- Ice cubes can be added to lassi.
This is very simple broccoli salad and very quick. This salad is made by using steamed broccoli and seasoned with the sesame seeds, chaat masala and other spices which gives the salad a delicious crunch and tasty flavor. I love this broccoli salad.
- 200 gm broccoli florets
- 2 teaspoon white sesame seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chaat masala
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic powder
- Ground black pepper to sprinkle
- 2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil to drizzle
- 3 cup water
- Salt to taste
- Add 3 cup of water in a deep pan and boil it. If water starts boiling add broccoli florets and simmer for 5 minutes. This process brightens the color of broccoli and makes it tender. Turn off the heat and take off the broccoli from pan and drain it using strainer.
- Put drained broccoli in a plate and start seasoning. Add white sesame seeds, sprinkle cumin seed powder, sprinkle chaat masala, sprinkle garlic powder, sprinkle ground black pepper and salt to taste. Finally drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and toss to coat.
- Serve fresh.
This is very delicious, flavorful and one of the satisfying meal. Chole masala or chana masala is a north indian Panjabi cuisine of India. Chickpeas are good source of protein. Chickpeas are spiced with the gravy made from onions, tomatoes, garam masala and dry mango powder with other spices.
It can be served with Bhature (a fried leavened Indian bread), Puri (a fried unleavened Indian bread), naan (leavened, oven-baked flatbread) or Rice.
Now let’s see the north indian style recipe to make a chole masala.
- 1 cup white chickpeas
- 2 medium size tomato, paste
- 1 medium size onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon dry mango powder
- 1 teaspoon pomegranate powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kasuri methi
- Soak 1 cup of chickpeas in water for 8-10 hrs.
- Cook the soaked chickpeas in pressure cooker or in a deep pan. Cook until soft.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds. Add chopped onions. Saute for few minutes until the onions starts to soften.
- Add ginger garlic paste and stir until aroma evaporates.
- Then add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, dry mango powder, pomegranate powder, garam masala and continue to saute. If you want you can add more spices according to your taste.
- Add tomato paste. Stir for couple of minutes until color changes to brown.
- Then add cooked chickpeas, salt to taste and mix well then and 1 cup of water. Cover the pan and cook for 15 minutes on low heat.
- Now to enhance the taste add kasuri methi and chopped coriander and simmer for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Transfer chole masala into a bowl and serve with bhature, puri, phulaka, naan or rice with onion slices or salad.
A smoothie is the mixture of fresh and raw fruits or vegetables, which are blended together until smooth. It can be prepared by adding other ingredients such as ice cubes, dairy products like yogurt, milk, etc. or sweeteners.
In India “Lassi” is a smoothie which is made from some natural flavors of fruits, yogurt, crushed ice and sometimes sugar. With refer to this in the recipe I have used yogurt to make a smoothie.
Now let’s see the recipe.
- 2 large bananas, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, cut into chunks
- 2 small oranges, peeled, take out the seeds from orange
- 1 cup non-fat yogurt
- 4-6 ice cubes
- Add all the raw fruits and ice cubes into the blender. Blend until smooth.
- Then add yogurt and blend again until smooth and thick. If your blender has difficulty in blending this thick mixture then add some cold water in it.
- Serve immediately.
Avocados are healthy and versatile. So it’s very important to use avocados in our meal. It’s very simple and best breakfast all the time. It’s Here we will see how to make a simple Avocado toast with little spices.
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 slices of wheat bread / whole-grain bread, toasted
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Red chilli flakes / red pepper flakes
- Chat masala
- Cumin seeds powder
- Ginger powder
- Garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Salt to taste
- First cut the avocado in half and scoop the flesh into a bowl.
- To prevent the natural darkening of the avocado flesh add lemon juice immediately. Add salt to taste. Mix all the ingredients.
- Mash the avocado with a fork. Keep it chunky.
- Now spread mashed avocados on each toast.
- Sprinkle chat masala, cumin seeds powder, ginger powder and garlic powder. If you want you can mix these ingredient in mashed avocados before spreading.
- Now sprinkle some red chilli flakes for garnishing.
- Drizzle some extra-virgin olive oil.
- Serve immediately.
To prevent the natural darkening of the avocado flesh that occurs with exposure to air, sprinkle some lemon juice on it.
Hash browns or hashed browns are very simple and easy to prepare in which shredded potatoes can be fried in butter. Hash browns is the American breakfast. This can be good side dish with the meal too. Yummy crusty recipe for potato lovers. To enhance the taste diced or chopped onion can be added. Can be serve as a breakfast or meal.
- 1 large russet potatoes
- 1 & 1/2 tablespoon butter
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- Peeled the potatoes. There’s no need to get rid of the skins if you don’t want to. Take a large bowl and fill with cold water. Now shred the potatoes and immediately put it in the bowl of cold water for 10 minutes. Water will become cloudy.
This process will dissolve excess starch from potatoes and keeps the potatoes from changing colour.
2. Now drain the shredded potatoes. Again take some cold water in a bowl, stir it and drain well. Then pat dry using paper towel or clean cotton cloth.
3. Finally squeeze the potatoes using cotton cloth to take out excess moisture. Now the potatoes are ready.
4. Heat butter in a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Add the shredded potatoes and spread them out in an even thin layer. Do remember layer should not be too thick otherwise it won’t be crust enough.
5. Now wait until a brown crust forms at the bottom of the potatoes. It will take 5 to 6 minutes. You can use the metal spatula to check the bottom. If you sure potatoes are brown and crispy at the bottom then it’s time to turn the side.
I always used to prefer to cut the whole layer into 2 or 4 parts before flipping. Depends on how much it’s big. And also useful to check each part how much it cooked at bottom. If ready at bottom then flip small parts one by one.
If you can flip whole potatoes layer in one go then you can flip it.
After flipping one part.
6. Continue to cook until second side bottom turns into brown crust. Remember it will take less time than first side bottom. You can spread more butter after flipping if you want to.
7. If both sides are brown then transfer it to plate. Season the potatoes with salt and ground black pepper.
8. Serve with ketchup or any gravy or chutney.