Hash browns or hashed browns are very simple and easy to prepare in which shredded potatoes can be fried in butter. And season with ground black pepper and salt. Yummy crusty recipe for potato lovers.
Hash browns is the American breakfast. To enhance the taste chopped onion can be added. Hash browns can be made with so many different ways.
Here is the quick VIDEO for the recipe:
|Preparation time||Cook time||Ready in|
|10 minutes||10 minutes||20 minutes|
- 1 large russet potatoes
- 1 & 1/2 tablespoon butter
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- Keep the bowl ready filled with a cold water.
- Peel the skin of potato. There’s no need to get rid of the skins if you don’t want to.
- Now shred the potato and immediately transfer into the bowl of cold water. Soak for 10 minutes. Water will become cloudy. This process will dissolve excess starch from potatoes and keeps the potatoes from changing color.
2. After 10 minutes rinse the potato under cold running water. Again take some cold water in a bowl and drain well. Then pat dry using kitchen towel or clean cotton cloth.
4. Heat butter in a non-stick pan over medium heat. Add the shredded potatoes and spread them out in an even thin layer. Do remember layer should not be too thick otherwise it won’t be crust enough. I have spread them in two half parts so that can be flip easily.
5. Now wait until a brown crust forms at the bottom of the potatoes. It will take 5 to 6 minutes. You can use the spatula to check the bottom. If you are sure potatoes are brown and crispy at the bottom then it’s time to turn the side.
6. Continue to cook until second side bottom turns into brown crust. Remember it will take less time than first side bottom. You can spread more butter after flipping if you want to.
7. If both sides are brown then transfer it to plate. Season the potatoes with salt and ground black pepper.
8. Serve fresh with ketchup or any gravy or chutney.